Creative Black & White
In the digital age, presenting a photo in black and white is an intentional aesthetic and creative choice. In this visual guide, renowned photographer Harold Davis introduces you to the fascinating world of black and white photography.
When creating a monochromatic image, a photographer needs to pre-visualize the image in black and white — which can be a daunting task in our vibrantly colored world. How can you recognize an opportunity for a stunning black and white image? And how does taking a monochromatic image differ from capturing a full-color image? This book will teach you.
Using many of his own stunning monochromatic images to illustrate, Davis walks you through the visual ideas that work well with black and white. He shares the technical approaches that you can use to create high quality monochromatic photos.
As you browse through the pages, you'll gain a deeper appreciation for what you can accomplish when taking portraits, landscapes, close-ups, and more. This book provides both inspiration and technical instruction. You may never photograph the world in quite the same way again!
- Learn to see and think in black and white
- Convert RAW files to black and white
- Use full color information to create black and white photos in Lightroom and Photoshop
- Create monochromatic images using multi-RAW processing and HDR
- Learn how to apply tinting, toning, and other special effects